Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Make clothes work for YOU!

Have you ever been shopping only to try something on and think, "If this was just a little bit longer." or "If the neckline was a little higher, I would totally get it!" Only to walk away from something you REALLY liked. Not anymore! Make clothes work for you!


At first glance, this dress looks too good to be true! High neckline, nice length, fits perfect. But what you don't realize is that when first I tried it on, I didn't like it at all! The waist was too low, the slip underneath was too short and I almost put it back. But I thought, you know what, I can make this work! So here are my secrets…


I used two safety pins on each sleeve to make the top fit better. It also pulled the waist and neckline up. Safety pins are a girls best friend! Now, I don't plan on leaving the safety pins there forever. I plan on sewing the sleeves to the size I want. But for a quick fix, safety pins work like magic!



As for the length, I will also eventually sew a piece of fabric to the bottom, but I couldn't wait for that to wear it! So what I did was wear a pencil skirt in the same color, underneath the dress. I already had this skirt at home so I didn't have to buy it. A solid color pencil skirt underneath is a great way to add length to anything!


In this first picture you can see where the slip on the dress stops, about midway up my thigh. In the second picture, I am showing the skirt I wore underneath. You can't even tell it's there!


So next time you try something on and it doesn't look like you want it to, check to see if it is something you can easily fix. Taking up sleeves and adding length can be a very quick fix and make an outfit look completely different! Make the clothes work for YOU!


(Dress: Nordstrom Rack * Jacket: Forever 21 * Headband: Versona Accesories * 
Shoes: Dillards * Purse: Brighton)

XOXO
Carmen

Linking Up With:

   WatchOutForTheWoestmans        Fashion & Faith


pleated poppy


8 comments:

  1. Love the color of that dress! Gorgeous as always Carmen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This colour is gorgeous on you. The little denim jacket is lovely with the dress too. I'm linking up from Scotland with Transatlantic Blonde :)
    Hannah x
    thesublimetimes.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hannah! It's definitely a great color! Thanks for linking up! I'm following you on Bloglovin now!

      Delete
  3. I definitely use the safety-pin method all the time! I hadn't thought to wear another skirt underneath or add to a slip, but that's a great idea (and that attached slip does seem oddly short). Cute outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that dress! The whole outfit is adorable!

    Helen
    Blue Eyed Beauty Blog
    Exercise Encouragement GROUP Blog

    ReplyDelete